GRANDMA, YOU WILL BE MISSED

Mary Ellen Glass
My beautiful grandmother 3/19/29 - 3/22/13 R.I.P. I Love You Forever Grandma


As I prepare for the viewing and the funeral service I cannot help but feel a tinge of nervousness.  A tension is visiting me and will not leave me until the cemetery service has ended and I am home.  I have never enjoyed burying any of my family.  However sad and anxiety building it is, I will give my homage, respect and grieving for my beautiful grandmother, Mary Ellen Glass.  

Back in the old days I remember spending the night with my grandmother at her house.  As I lived most of my young childhood abiding by strict rules and uncertain of paths I would be permitted to take, living by religious standards and my parents restrictions, it would be grandma who would lend to and encourage my liberty and freedom to express my artistic and creative growth. 

My grandmother was interested in my artistic ability long before there even really was a talent.  I feel I developed such an interest in expressing myself through writing, art, designing graphics because of my early days feeling so encouraged by her to express myself in that way.   It is that part of creativity within me that really made me who I am today.  If I had never learned to express and utilize my creative side I would simply be an automaton living as a robot.

As I remember the nights I spent with grandma I recall the nights I would pretend I was a private detective.  I found my grandma's binoculars.  I brought my notebook and wrote as if I was discovering clues.  I was able to entertain myself.  The pretending led to my coming up with questions.  Then the questions led me to grandma and she would give me answers.  She always was a fountain of answers because she was a reader. And as a reader she was extremely knowledgeable. 

My grandmother had 2 massively heavy books in her kitchen.  One was her Better Homes Cook Book and the other was her automotive mechanics guide.  Yes my grandmother knew a little about cars.  She was the most devoted to her family and to having a good time.  She always made sure that everyone had food for breakfast, lunch and dinner and had the best Thanksgiving dinners and Christmas Eve buffet.  If we didn't get our presents on Christmas Eve then we would be sure to get a visit from her early Christmas morning.    We always got a Birthday card with 5 dollar bill inside.  Grandma also enjoyed take photos of us on our birthdays or at Christmas time.  

She had a large collection of photos.  Some of the earliest photos I had seen were of grandma and grandpa visiting in Florida at Disney World with us back when I was only 3 years old.  Some of the photos show Lisa and I sitting in the side yard at grandma's older house which she lived in first on Preble street next door. It must have been summer.  Neither of us wore clothes....just our diapers.  We had the curliest hair.  Amazing, I can remember Christmas time in that house.

I know that my grandma is heaven today.  She wanted so to be sure of her place there as she often discussed with me when I was a teenager.  Grandma was a wonderful soul and tender heart.  I love with all my heart.  I will never forget her.  Love you Grandma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GROWING UP IN A HAUNTED HOUSE

TV PERSONALITY, DEMONOLOGIST AND LITERARY PERFORMER CARL JOHNSON

EITHER GOD, SATAN, ANGELS, DEMONS, HEAVEN AND HELL EXIST OR THEY DO NOT!